Women have a strength about themselves that can boggle the mind. Take the lyrics from the song by Chaka Khan, “I’m every woman, it’s all in me”. We think we can handle it all, and we get the job done. But at what price, our health and mental well being? Here’s the thing…sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves. That’s always on my mind, ways to encourage you as well as myself about taking care of our mind, body and soul. I’m always reading articles, watching interviews on TV about women and how they are unhappy, stressed, worn out and feeling worthless because they have not been in the habit of taking care of themselves, including our health. We’ve got to change this.
I work from home and I still need to take time for myself. I have a schedule that I follow for work, do work around the house, run errands and write for my blog. Then it’s time for everyone to come home, eat dinner, homework and make sure everyone is ready for the next day. Notice I didn’t say I cook every night. I cook several days a week, and I cook enough to last at least two days. I try to take time for my favorite craft, making jewelry. At the end of my day, I’m exhausted and ready for bed. I try to stay up until 10:00 to spend time with my children, it’s hard but I do it. They understand most of the time that I’m tired. I know that I’m setting a good example for them by taking care of myself. At times I close the door to my bedroom so I can concentrate without being disturbed. These are just a few of the things I do to take care of myself. Here are a few others I came up with. If you have more, please share.
1. Learn how to say no…say it with me “N-O!”
2. Get at least 6 hours of sleep. Take short naps during the day if your schedule allows.
3. Laugh at yourself and others. Lighten up ladies, I’m guilty of this myself at times.
4. Call or go visit an old friend or someone that you haven’t had any contact with in quite a while. I don’t mean Facebook, Twitter or text message either.
5. Get all of your yearly checkups, mammogram, pap smear, flu shot (if you do that), dentist.
6. Do something by yourself, go see a movie, visit the zoo, museum, shopping (some women don’t like to do anything by themselves).
7. Love people, but keep contact with negative people to a minimum. They are dream killers and bring stress to your life.
8. Take time for the love of your life. It’s so easy to get into the hustle of everyday life and forget what made you love that special person in the first place.
9. Exercise ladies…a struggle for me too! Walking is always our best friend if you are able to do it.
10. Eat healthy meals, another struggle with this menopause thing. I do try hard to maintain my weight. It’s always gonna be work for me. Don’t feel alone on this one. Remember we are middle aged women and we can’t do everything we see or read about. Always consult with your doctor on items 9 and 10.
11. Volunteer at a women’s shelter, it’s a eye opening experience. I plan to do more of this one. Women have amazing stories and we can encourage each other.
12. Spend time with God on a daily basis. It helps to keep you focused and will help with dealing with issues 1-11!
Be encouraged and remember to love yourself!